When growing out cannabis indoors, it is needed to use grow lights in order to get significant heat as an alternative to sunlight. An example of this grow light are HID Lightings. These grow lights are one of the most common grow lights that cannabis growers use for their indoor cultivation. Though these grow lights have been proven to be useful by a lot of people on growing out their cannabis indoors, it should be remembered that it also poses risks and dangers to people living in that space and location. That is why we will try to explore the potential hazards implying installation of these type of grow lights. Likewise, we will examine what is needed to be done on the utilization of these grow lights for a healthier and more sophisticated environment.
What is a High-Intensity Discharge Lamps?
A classification of grow lights that uses tungsten electrodes to carry out the light. These electrodes are enveloped upon transparent fused quartz or fused alumina tube for which contains noble gas and a metal or metal salts. Generally, there are two types of HID lamps. The High-Pressure Sodium (HPS) and Metal Halide Lamps. For a general description of each type, listed below;
- High-Pressure Sodium (HPS)
-This type high-intensity discharge lamp gives off the light when electrical current is directly entering within the tubes containing inert gas xenon and a combination of sodium and mercury vapor. This is an excellent intensity and wavelength for it induces yellow, orange, or red light for which is ideal for flowering stages of marijuana.
- Metal Halide Lamps
-A type of high-intensity discharge lamp emits light when an electric current passes through the tube filled with vaporized and gaseous mixtures of metal halides like bromine or iodine. Unlike HPS, this gives a broad spectrum of light exhibiting wavelengths of red, orange, yellow, and green with the action of little UV rays. This is perfect for budding and flowering stages of marijuana.
Overall, this type of grow light is a cost-efficient lamp. This is relatively cheap as compared to other types of grow lights offering effectivity and exhibiting prolonged wattage hours. However, the downside of this type of lamp is its vulnerability to hazards which poses risks to human welfare and to the environment if left unprotected.
Hazards of High-Intensity Discharge Lamps
People may not know but High-Intensity Discharge Lamps could be not healthy for human utilization if not readily informed of these dangers and risks. Some of these risks include the following;
- Damages Eyes
Reports have shown that overexposure to High-Intensity Discharge lamps could lead to temporary blindness, eye cataracts, and cornea damages. This has been brought by the emission of ultraviolet rays and infrared that some HID lights incorporated upon their lamps. This has been linked on further eye damages to older people who exposed themselves to HID lights.
- Skin Deterioration
Because of the lamp’s high levels of ultraviolet rays, further exposure of your skin to HID lamps could induce out risks including premature aging, skin burns, and irritation. There are also studies telling that these harmful rays cause even skin cancer.
- Fire Precautions
Like any other lighting medium where consists of intricate wiring systems, there is absolutely high risks on fire. Specifically, failure of positioning and filling the tube could cause a fire if left unattended.Likewise, breakage and cracks especially when contacted with water could cause a fire. But overall, if any part of the lamp fails violently, it could cause combustion and get ignited enticing fire risks.
- Electrical Shock
Any leaks within electrical wirings or conductors causing from lack of maintenance and poor condition could cause risks in humans if it gets contacted upon water and on human skin. Likewise, these shocks could cause fire and risks to human health. Mild shocks could obstruct breathing and create an unnecessary tingling sensation that is entirely unhealthy. Fatal shocks could create extensive burns and even leads to death if unattended.
Prevention of Hazards and Risks of High-Intensity Discharge Lamps
We don’t want to compromise the safety of everyone on the house or space just for a faulty or unattended High-Intensity Discharge Lamps (HID). That is why people should be observant upon such risks. The following are some guidelines that you need to look over in order to avoid such potential dangers;
- Arrange out the wirings. Don’t just leave everything scattered on the floor. It could cause disorganization and could enhance susceptibility to fire and electrical hazards. It is important to keep wires attached and secured to the walls and ceilings.
- Check on the light sources. Be familiar upon the circuitry within your grow lights to follow through when a subsequent damage occurs.
- Take precaution that a broken lamp does not just mean that it does not light up. Sometimes broken lamps are denoted with functioning lamps for which is high poses threats to fires.
- If possible, stay away from the light and wear out ultraviolet glasses when permanently exposed to such lamps. For your skin, apply anti-UV skin treatments to protect your skin against any subsequent skin damage.
- Always take precautions when installing or replacing bulbs and any parts. It is most helpful to take aid with a professional expert or an electric technician to aid you on such fixing assistance.
- Examine the lamp’s directions and precautions as what is written on its packaging. Take note the wattage and overheating risks to inform you out regarding how many hours it should get operated.
- Organized out things. As much as possible, separate from the ballast banks between the grow room and wet room. This is to avoid fire risks and to create a healthy environment for the growth of your cannabis plants.
Tips when to Replace or Call for Assistance
- Bulbs that continuously goes on and off could be a sign of ballast overheating. The ballast should be replaced on immediately to avoid further risks
- Upon notice that there are broken bulbs, cracks, and leakages on wirings, it is an immediate action to replace the damaged
- It is recommended to keep on regular maintenance and checkup upon your HID grow lights. Make sure to not expose it near to any liquid, oil, moisture, dust, or dirt as you will be watering your plants often.